Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tu No Eres "Ama De Casa"






These are the images I get when I Google "Housewife" and when I Google "Working Mom". Nothing really looks like me, nothing really encompasses both aspects. Nothing really shows what many moms do! They don't show what "stay at home/work from home" moms do or "working moms" do! 

The reason I bring this up is, this weekend while I was doing a little makeover job in my moms kitchen, we were working side by side removing some wallpaper and one of my girls came in the kitchen asking for something. My mom stopped what she was doing to tend to her while I continued on, two minutes later my other little girl came in asking for something else and again worked stopped. So I just mentioned something along the lines "we will be here forever with them asking for something every five seconds" and my mom turns to me and says in Spanish "Es porque tu no eres ama de casa" or "you are no housewife".

She went on to tell me how, I find doing things at home so overwhelming because I am a "provider", I work outside the home. She raised 4 kids, had dinner on the table every night by 5:30, house clean etc. Now I love my mom and I respect all stay at home moms because being home all day with the kids is alot and tending to them all day takes a special kind of person! But I feel like, OK I may not "stay at home" but I do, do all the things that she mentioned!

I mean OK! given on a random night you may come to my house and find a mess, because I get home at 6:30 and yeah some nights there is take out instead of a home cooked meal because neither my husband nor I want to cook! But... I do everything my mother was mentioning, I just happen to work also outside the home. But I do feel like I am a "housewife", "a working women", "a mom" and everything else that comes with that. 

I know its that old school mentality. I think my mom deep down thought that once I had kids I would stay home, but these days most of us can't really afford that, its not realistic and to tell you the truth, I like working. Of course sometimes its overwhelming trying to balance everything but, I believe its overwhelming for stay at home moms too!   

I truly love the fact that my mom is here with us. Especially in this stage of my pregnancy. Its great having the extra help with everything. I am glad that we are spending this time together and that my girls get to spend time with their abuela. Though in her eyes I may not be a "Ama de casa" I hope she sees all the effort that it takes to handle a household with two working parents and two young children. I know deep down she is proud of me. Maybe one day I will earn the status of "Ama de casa" in her eyes. But until then I am content in the role I play as for lack of a better word "working mom". I think, well I hope I find the balance well. It's an  ever changing and evolving process but I feel like with all that she has taught me and all that I have learned along the way, I am up for the challenge!


I like this picture better! We all are supermoms! No matter what your home situation is! 

6 comments:

  1. I don't think my Mom gets me either. I recently quit my job to be more of a stay at home Mom and to start my own business.
    p.s I only wish I could do 1/2 the job she did with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah its a little hard because my mom is a bit old school but I think she understands... LOL somewhat!

      Delete
  2. Your life sounds a lot like mine, I think like any working moms life. I WISH i could be perfect about keeping the house spotless, doing the laundry everyday and getting dinner on the table by 5:30---but there is simply not enough time in the day especially when I get home after 6 on most days. Its great that you have her help, she sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is!!!! We just differ in our view of things every now and then... LOL

      Delete
  3. And sometimes we ate chinos too. lol

    ReplyDelete